Monday, July 25, 2016

Language Learning

7.23.16

We haven't posted for a week and we now have only a week left of our Mazatlan adventure.  For me, it has been such a treat and definitely gives me a bit of the travel bug - making me dream of more travel adventures.

Having our Monday - Friday Spanish classes has been really nice, helping us establish a routine and giving us a good purpose for each week day.   While, the hot weather prevents afternoon adventures to a great extent little by little we've figured out best places to find necessities close by, good local restaurants with local prices, and places (like the mall to escape the heat).  We have continued to have baseball games to watch (and for Reid to play in) and friends and pools to visit and keep us busy.

As for the language learning process, this has been interesting.

For me, I know I will always have more to learn but my fluency has improved a lot.  I have re-learned so much and because of friends here who are willing to correct my mistakes and mispronunciations, I feel like I'm making lots of progress.

For the kids, we really didn't know what to expect since they (sadly - since I wish now I'd taught them as babies), had almost zero Spanish language knowledge before coming.  My hope for them was to get a foundation with a understanding of how the language is structured, what the accent here is like, and a small understanding of the culture.  I think for the most part that has been accomplished.  It has been a little challenging though.  I think Reid, in particular, had expectations of being able to communicate more.  But language acquisition/learning is a not easy.  If we think about learning our first language, we realize we listened to and interacted within our first language for a year or more before really ever producing it ourselves.  I know that this is different since as a baby you are also physically and mentally developing but nevertheless, we understand language before we speak it. So explaining this to Reid, that he will understand before he can comfortably share his own ideas, etc was tough to hear.  He has learned more than he realizes but is cautious about practicing and leary about the process.

Kaari is a natural student so I think for her it has been a little easier.  She studies more and is more comfortable "practicing" with locals and more willing to make mistakes and risk having people talk to her knowing she won't understand.

Then we have Tyce - what can I say about our Tyce...  Well, he is strong-willed for sure.  He doesn't WANT to speak in Spanish so mostly, he doesn't.  Then when I'm working with the kids and ask a question, he is often the first one to give the answer.  His accent is more natural and he is gradually understanding the noun verb conjugation.  Anyway, I hope to continue working with him despite his resistance!  :)

Well, we have one more week of school here and then we'll have to figure out our plan for continuing our language education aside from school classes...  Any suggestions?








4 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great experience for you and the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have experienced the gamut of language acquisition, learning, complicated by personalities. I know that Reid knows more than he thinks and I feel his pain in transitioning receptive language to expressive language. Kaari's personality and perseverance make it easier for her. And Tyce is the typical younger learner that syntax and pronunciation come easily but he has yet to bring it to spoken automaticity. What a fabulous opportunity you have given them. Keep up the Spanish in your home. For all three having a command of Spanish will bring them added success in their careers and in life in general (sorry about getting into my ESL teacher mode). Grandma of the white hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear it really! I think this last week Reid has actually grown in confidence quite a bit and is recognizing that, while not where he'd hoped to be, he has learned a lot. He's reading signs and understanding some - even was able to translate for Dave when the two went for a pulmonia ride together. :)

      Delete
    2. Excited to see all of you. We won't be hanging around very long on Monday but hope to hear a little Spanish and a few stories. Halia will be crazy hyper to see her family and be in her fenced backyard, but she will miss grandpa, her new favorite person.

      Delete